In the Name of Progress

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Laurie Ann Hogan 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Author

Laurie Ann Hogan
    Participant

One day in late March of 2018, I noticed that there were a bunch of tall trees that were cut down in the woods where I hike. I couldn’t understand why they were cut down in that area. I did notice that they were tying boundary tape all around in that one section of the woods last year. When I came back the following day there were men using large industrial machines to rip the trees out of the ground in that area. I didn’t stay to watch I left before they completed the job but when I returned two days later I was shocked and disheartened by what I saw. I couldn’t believe what I saw, they have that whole section blocked off by the trees that they pulled out of the ground with. I used to hike in that area, as well, I guess I won’t be anymore. I found out that two people want to build a solar facility in that section what a shame I remember seeing various wildlife in that area, for example, deer,rabbit, turtles, and turtles, toads, birds and various insects species. I wonder how many wildlife homes were destroyed and wildlife was killed after they either ripped out or cut down all of those trees.

Laurie Ann Hogan
      Participant

These photographs were taken on April 14th and April 15th, 2018. I went for my daily backpacking on both mornings and saw how much more clearing the workers did on that area. I have a lot of memories of how that area looked before they devastated it, it was filled with various trees and plants now it’s just an open large dirt space. I can remember hiking through the different trails that led to different parts of the woods but now I wouldn’t want to hike through a bare plot of land. I remember seeing various species of birds flying from one tree branch to another and the birds singing to each other. The squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits scurrying about and the occasional deer running through the or the trees swaying back and forth from the wind but now there is no movement or sound coming from the empty field.

Laurie Ann Hogan
        Participant

Now the utility company is clearing the other side of the newly cleared field which is where I enter/exit. They have been clearing brush and small trees along a long stretch of land from my entrance/exit point. I had to leave an hour earlier and enter/exit from another location in the woods and that was just this past week but since they don’t do that type of work on the weekend I can enter/exit using my original location and leave my original time. My entrance/exit area looks very bare and has changed from its original appearance which was densely covered with various bushes,grasses and plants. They are clearing out the territory of a bobcat that hunts and lives in that general area that is located outside of the woods. I have seen the bobcat twice the first time was in late September of 2017 in the early morning while I was out hiking. I spotted something just sitting there on the dirt trail I couldn’t make it out at first. After three minutes, and I was closer I realized it was a bobcat I quickly took out my camera and turned it on but when I tried to photograph him/her she/he took off in the opposite direction. I was disappointed but kept hiking towards the entrance of the woods but something caught my attention on my right side before I hiked into the woods. I noticed quick back and forth movement at first I thought it was a black snake rising up but then I thought it couldn’t be, so then I let my eyes wander a little further from there and spotted the bobcat sitting on her/his hind legs and staring at me. I realized I must of been looking at his/her tail whipping around and he/she was breathing heavy and fast. I was scared and excited at the same time so I said in a stern voice “You better leave me alone!’ that’s when the bobcat got up and ran in the opposite direction of the woods. I thought after the bobcat left I should have taken pictures of her/him what a dummy I was not to take advantage of that great opportunity I vowed if I ever saw that bobcat again I wouldn’t make that same mistake again. I usually hike up three very steep trails, that are located next to each other, at the very beginning of my backpacking/hiking but since they have been working in that area I have to leave an hour earlier and use a different location so I wind up backpacking the trails later. One morning, I was backpacking one of the steep trails and spotted the bobcat laying on the trail and he/she didn’t notice me until I turned my camera on. She/he quickly looked down at me wide eyed I wasn’t going to let this opportunity slip by me so I took several photos of the bobcat before he/she decided it was time for him/her to get up and leave. As he/she was leaving it quickly looked back at me a couple of times to make sure I wasn’t following her/him. I knew why the cat was still awake it was because the men were destroying his/her hunting and home territory at that particular time. I couldn’t help but feel sad for the bobcat because humans were destroying his territory and he/she had to stay away from their property.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.