$200 Nature Photography Contest (Share Your Best Nature Photo)

In the Name of Progress

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Laurie Ann Hogan 6 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Author

Laurie Ann Hogan
    Participant

One day in late March of 2018, I noticed that there were a bunch of tall trees that were cut down in the woods where I hike. I couldn’t understand why they were cut down in that area. I did notice that they were tying boundary tape all around in that one section of the woods last year. When I came back the following day there were men using large industrial machines to rip the trees out of the ground in that area. I didn’t stay to watch I left before they completed the job but when I returned two days later I was shocked and disheartened by what I saw. I couldn’t believe what I saw, they have that whole section blocked off by the trees that they pulled out of the ground with. I used to hike in that area, as well, I guess I won’t be anymore. I found out that two people want to build a solar facility in that section what a shame I remember seeing various wildlife in that area, for example, deer,rabbit, turtles, and turtles, toads, birds and various insects species. I wonder how many wildlife homes were destroyed and wildlife was killed after they either ripped out or cut down all of those trees.

Laurie Ann Hogan
      Participant

These photographs were taken on April 14th and April 15th, 2018. I went for my daily backpacking on both mornings and saw how much more clearing the workers did on that area. I have a lot of memories of how that area looked before they devastated it, it was filled with various trees and plants now it’s just an open large dirt space. I can remember hiking through the different trails that led to different parts of the woods but now I wouldn’t want to hike through a bare plot of land. I remember seeing various species of birds flying from one tree branch to another and the birds singing to each other. The squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits scurrying about and the occasional deer running through the or the trees swaying back and forth from the wind but now there is no movement or sound coming from the empty field.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.